Thursday, April 29, 2010

Out With The Old, In With The New

My trusty old sewing machine died on Monday.  It was a sad, sad day.  I learned to sew on this machine when I was 9 or so.  During summer break in high school on the nights my friends didn't really have anything going on, it was just me, the sewing machine and Mr. Darcy, ohhh Mr. Darcy. Then I got married and my mom got a new sewing machine.  I'm not sure if she really wanted a new one or if she did it just so I could have her old one, but either way it was really nice of her to pass this one off to me.  It would be interesting to see how many hours I have put on that thing.  The past three years or so the stitch quality has really gone downhill just due to the amount of wear and tear.  It also developed a short in the power cord.  Justin kept fixing it somehow with Gorilla glue and as long as it didn't get bumped it was just fine.  Well, on Monday I went to turn it on and nothing happened, it had shorted it's last short.  I have been reaserching sewing machines over the past year and have found that Berninas' seem to be the best quality machine out there.  Lucky for me, Bernina just opened a store in St. George. 
I am the proud owner of a new Bernina.  And let me just say, "It's stinkin' awesome!"  I'm soo happy I'm going to cry!  I still have a lot to learn on it, like the knee-lifter and button-holer, but I'm soo excited!  I'm soo glad I have a husband who understands that a good sewing machine is a NEED.  I can't wait to get going on my projects.
(Hello pretty feet all lined up in your pretty accessory case.) 
Unfortunatly it didn't come with a ruffler foot and a walking foot, but that's ok, I know what to ask for for my birthday and Christmas. :-)

5 comments:

  1. Oh I am jealous, when I replace my very old Kenmore as well it will be with a pretty new Bernina. (I hope, someday....)
    I have a ruffler foot but it is about forty years old and only works on one setting lol. I recently bought a walking foot but I have yet t use it more than twice...oddly enough for sewing ruffles to skirts. :)
    I do love my Kenmores, also mine are hand me downs too. I think that is wonderful about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just need SOMETHING. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it!) I learned on a bernina, and I am spoiled. Ive got LOTS to learn for when I do finally get one, but Oh, how I would love to get better at my sewing! Congrats on the Big B!!! LOVE IT! This one looks even better than any bernina Ive used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I am a Bernina owner myself, I call her Bernie :-) I think they are the best machines in the world. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your Bernina! Just last night I was thinking how great Bernina's are just for the knee-lift presser foot & the heel press to lower the needle. I also sew watching Pride & Prejudice...a lot. It's nice because I don't even have to look up since I've seen it so much, although I always have to stop when he comes out of the tree by the pond at Pemberly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! I would love a new Bernina, but for now, I have my trusty basic Bernina that I got 30 plus years ago! Still going strong! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails