Friday, February 19, 2010

Organza Flowers

I saw a tutorial for organza flowers on Little Birdie Secrets and decided I had to make some.  I mean, what if my baby is born bald? She'll need something cute on her head so people don't think she's a boy, right?  So, I ordered the variety pack of nylon headbands off of this website. 
Oooh it's soo pretty I just want to sit and stare at it.  Keep in mind organza is totally different than tulle.  It's a much finer fabric.  You can find it in the bridal/prom section of the fabric store.  I couldn't decide how much to buy, so I bought a fourth of a yard of each.  Umm, ya, that's a bit much. I probably should have only bought an eighth of a yard.  But, she who dies with the most fabric wins.
So then you cut out your circles or petals, either way turns out cute.  Sorry for the dark picture.  I can only light candles after Macey goes to bed.  Otherwise I am forced to sing "Happy Birthday to You" a million times and blow out the candle.  I have to admit I was kinda skeptical that the edges would curl under all cute.  But once you put the edge close to the flame it curls up.  The first time I did this I actually said out loud "Oooh pretty."
The more layers you do the cuter it gets.  You want the smallest layer to be about the size of a quarter, and then do each layer after that about a fourth of an inch bigger in diameter.  Once you get all the layers done (in this picture it's only half ways done) you sew the layers together with a nylon thread and then sew beads in the center. Glue it to a clippy or sew it onto your headband and there ya go, one stylin' baby headband! 

9 comments:

  1. so pretty! i know very little about all things sewing and fabric, so would it work if i used cotton or poly thread to sew the flower together? or should i buy nylon thread? thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's just a matter of preference. I highly recommend clear nylon thread on this project. So when your sewing your beads on, all you see is the beads and not the thread that they're sewn on with. If you don't want to go out and buy nylon thread you can use regular cotton thread that matches the color of your organza pretty close. You would just have to be more carefull about where you put your stiches, but it would be do-able. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute! Fabric store here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! I found it through another craft blog (can't remember which one at the moment, maybe it was U Create??). I have 3 girls and I've always been too intimidated to try making bows myself but I think I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute. You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do have a bald beauty and she has tons of headbands! I love these! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look great! I love it. I never thought of using a candle to burn the edges, I used a small lighter and burned my fingers more than the fabric :). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO beautiful! Love them and love the name of your blog-Mahana you ugly! :)
    -Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a genuine capacity to compose a substance that is useful for us. Much obliged to you for your endeavors in sharing such online journals to us. Wholesale Baby Jumpsuits Online

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails