Monday, February 15, 2010

Breakfast in Bed Tray

I hope you all had a wonderful Valentines Day. Ours was pretty good.   Our plans never go the way we expect them to.  I had a nice dinner all planned out for Saturday night (Sunday we were going to be with family celebrating my moms' birthday.)  But by the time Justin got home from doing chores and running errands I was soo exhausted, my feet were throbbing and my back was aching (keep in mind I'm 35 weeks pregnant) that I wasn't in the mood for cooking dinner.  So I gave Justin the recipes and he made it, and it turned out pretty dang good!  I made up for not cooking dinner by surprising him with a fancy breakfast in bed tray Sunday morning.  I thought I would share it with you all so you can use some of the ideas for the next birthday, anniversary, Fathers day or just a lazy Sunday.

  • Fabulous French Toast
The secret to making good french toast is to:

  1. Use french bread or Texas Toast

  2. Butter the bread before you dip it in the egg/milk mixture.  It gives it a crunchy texture on the outside and it is soo good..

  3. Mix your cinnamon in your vanilla before you add it to the eggs and milk. This way the cinnamon doesn't glump together.  I learned this on the Food Network :-)

  4. Top it with homemade Cinnamon Cream Syrup.

  • Cinnamon Cream Syrup
1 Cup light corn syrup
2 Cups sugar
1/2 Cup water
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Cup evaporated milk

Mix syrup, sugar, water and cinnamon.  Bring to a full boil over medium heat stirring. Continue two minutes.  Cool for five minutes.  Add milk. 
Once you make this you'll never go back to that nasty store bought maple flavored syrup stuff again!

  • Cute Tray Decoration
I got the idea for this off of Shoestring Pavilion and the instructions to make the flowers off of Dozi Design. I ended up with a few blank spot so I put a little loop of ribbon in them and secured it with a straight pin. It's sitting on a ceramic candle holder that Justin made in shop class in high school :-) It turned out kinda cute.

  • Simple Napkin Fold
I have tried, and failed many times to do those fancy napkin folds that you see at the restaurants - fancy napkin folding just isn't my thing.  So I have to rely on my trusty simple fold.  If you don't have cloth napkins be sure and check the clearance section at Target.  They always seem to have fun colors of cloth napkins for an awesome price.

Step one: Lay the napkin face down.
Step two: Fold in half.
Step three: Fold the bottom up four inches.
Step four: Fold the bottom up four inches again.
Step five: Fold both sides under.
Step six: Add silverware and your done!
I believe some of the best presents we can give are service to one another. I hope this gave you some ideas for a nice breakfast in bed tray for a special day or just any day that you just want to let your spouse (or kids) know that you love them.

1 comment:

  1. I made a french toast casserole on V Day, it used this same syrup. It really is the best!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails