Thursday, February 4, 2010

Valentines Day Korker Bows

Whenever I have korker bows in Maceys' hair people always ask if I made them.  And then when I say I did they have this shocked look on their face.  It's not hard people.  So I'm going to share with you all how to make korker bows.  
First you wrap grosgrain ribbon around wood dowels.  If you have wide ribbon you want a wider dowel, smaller ribbon a smaller width dowel.  Then your going to clamp the ends with a clothespin. Put it in the oven at 275 degrees for 25 minutes.  If I'm just doing one bow it usually fits in the toaster oven.  
Then you take your hair clippy and use hot glue to line it with ribbon.  I get mine at Sally Beauty Supply. 

Then when your ribbon is done baking you line up the ribbon and cut it down to size.  I did mine at about 2.25 inches.
Line up your little bundles of ribbon with elastic underneath and then tie the elastic tight around the ribbon.

Then you hot glue your little corker ribbon bundles onto your hair clippies. Touch up the ends with Fray Check so they don't fray out on you (duh, I know).  And there you have some cute piggy tail bows!

monogram



Creative Craft Thursday with Floralshowers
Get your craft on Thurs.

15 comments:

  1. Stinkin cute! SOOO great, I never knew how to make them, but now I do!
    1 question... do you have to dip them in something before you bake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no dipping that I know of. You do want to be sure to use grosgrain ribbon though. If you use the slick shiny kind of ribbon it turns out droopy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely adorable. I had no idea how you made these! thanks a bunch for linking. =)

    Anne
    FloralShowers.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT tutorial! I LOVE the dowel-oven trick! Brilliant! I am in-love with these bows! Thanks so much for sharing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute. I wish my daughter still wore bows....

    Thanks for joining "Get your Craft on Thurs." I hope to see you next week.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have wanted to know how to make these bows for FOREVER! Thank you soooo much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant - I have to make these!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mariesa, Thanks for sharing the how-to! I don't have a girl, so I never knew how people make them. So thanks!! Whenever we have a girl, I'm totally doing these!! Thanks for joining the party!
    happy crafting
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can also take a small flame(think lighter) to the ends of the ribbon to seal it. That would give you a better seal than fray check.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have NO idea how long I've been looking for instructions on how to do these! Thank you SOOOO much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this tutorial!!! I have been wanting to make these forever but was scared. I finally made them yesterday following your instructions and I can't believe how easy they were. Thank you so much for giving me the last little push. I linked back to you: http://acraftyescape.blogspot.com/2010/03/minnie-mouse-outfit-redux.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just an FYI...if you spray the ribbon with starch before putting them in the oven they stay curled a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to have to make some of those for my girls! So Cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I was just thinking about searching for a tutorial and then you popped up. Thank you, they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome tutorial! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails